Sunday, November 21, 2004

Wow...has it been that long?

I didnt realize it had been that long since I posted something in the ol Blog. Man time flies when you dont have any.

Getting geared up at the store for the holiday season. If this past weekend is any indication, it looks like it may be a good one.

A few weeks back, a few of my online friends and I decided to start an RPG publishing company. Man, the things you think about doing when you're bored. Anyway, we have our official launch on December 1st, and as most small businesses, we have great plans for it, so stay tuned for more information about that and my experiences as VP of a new company.

I was surfing around and stumbled across this piece about the election. I realize that it was a while back, but since the election was an "important one", I thought you might "enjoy" this excerpt from it. I think it says a lot in such a short space.

On Media and the Election
Robert W. McChesney

"Perhaps the most important function our media serves is to provide voters with the information they need to make sound decisions in the voting booth. If people don't know what they're voting for, our democracy is in serious trouble.

Unfortunately, it appears that we're in serious trouble.

This election has been marked by a staggering amount of voter ignorance. Polls show that voters - especially Bush supporters - were grossly misinformed about their candidate's position on a broad range of issues. Surveying supporters of the President, a University of Maryland PIPA/ Knowledge Networks poll found:

72% still believe that there were WMD's in Iraq.
75% believe that Iraq was providing substantial support for Al Qaeda.
66% believe that Bush supports participation in the International Criminal Court.
72% believe that he supports the treaty banning land mines.

The catch? None of these statements are true...."


Wow, I guess there goes that whole theory about this election being "really important" and this being the "time of the informed voter". Then again, I guess the voters were in fact informed. The problem was what "information" they were using to become "informed". Sad...very sad.

I have to admit, I have been a little lost on what to post on the ol blog. During the campaigning for the election, there was always something to comment on. But since it has passed by us, I have been struggling to think of stuff to post about that people may enjoy reading. Then a thought struck me.

My blog is so insignificant in the world of blogs, why the fuck do I care whether people will "enjoy" reading it. I originally started this thing so I could make observations about things that I see around me in my little corner of the world. If people want to post any thoughts on my posts, I welcome them and look forward to seeing their responses. If not, I will keep on commenting on stuff that I see around me.

Gerbil Thought of the Day: Being an "Independent Minded Liberal" does not make me evil or less of an American, so get used to hearing it. Cause every chance I get, I will shove it down the throats of the people who think it does. And in the infamous words of someone who thinks it does, "Go FUCK yourself!!!"

Im back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home