Thursday, October 07, 2004

Kinda funny

A couple of months ago, Chick-Fila employees started saying "Its been a pleasure to serve you" or something to that effect when they give you your food. The first couple of times, I didnt even think twice about it. I mean, when you want nuggets, nothing really matters beyond that. But then I started to notice it more. It really struck me as funny. I mean, it is obviously one of those corporate things that companies make their employees say. Nothing wrong with that I guess.

But I decided to throw a monkey wrench at them. So, ever time I go to Chick-Fila now, and the person serving me says that line, I respond "No it hasnt, and you know it" or "Was it really? I mean...come on? I though overall it sucked" or something to that effect.

Man its fun watching them trying to figure out how to respond. I know I am being mean, but hell, I work in retail, so I think I'm entitled. We have a few things we are supposed to say when we help people at work, and if someone said something like that to me, I would crack up.

People just simply take life too seriously. I guess I usually don't. I'm just happy to be alive.

3 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow thats harsh gerbil....sounds like something that i might do though.....we should think of some stupid shit to say like that at the store.....bookgod

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Rabid Gerbil said...

Hehehe...well...I always do it in a joking manner, and make sure that they know before I walk away that I am just kidding with them. Sort of a "hey, I work retail buddy. I know what you're going through" type of thing.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Rabid Gerbil said...

Dont ever compare myself to them? Why the fuck not? Because I am a Manager in a retail environment? Please.

I have worked "food service" before. I worked "the line" at a major fast food chain, and I sweated right along with the other employees there. I made the food that I couldnt eat (except on break), burned my arms on the grill and fryers just like everyone else there, and waited on customers wearing a stupid looking uniform.

I also worked 9 years at a concession stand at a local speedway. I did everything there from fryers to grill to making pizzas to waiting on drunk racing fans. A normal night for us was about 10 hours, and we all did our share of sweating there as well. We were so busy some nights, that I had blisters on my hands by the end of the night from the fryers. 10 hours..no break...no sitting down...temperature about 90 because of the pizza ovens. Yea...great fucking working conditions. I have been so pampered.

So, I think I understand how it feels to work food service. I worked both of those jobs at first for the money, but then because I liked the people. Once I didnt, I left. Thats why I work where I do now...the people. I could easily make more money working other places than what I make now, but I turned down those offers because I like who I work with and the atmosphere I work in.

If you read my response to Bookgod, I was kidding around with them because I know what they are going through. Working food service sucks, unless you work for one of the very few good compaines, and yes, there are a few. I also understand how it feels to have "higher ups" that make decisions for the company send down things you have to say or do, making your job life just a little bit more demanding. Especially since most of those people probably have never waited on a customer before. Target Credit Card? B&N Member Card? Yup..been there.

Thats why when I make my comments, I do it in a kidding manner, so they know Im kidding. I just want to let them know that not all of their customers are oblivious to what they are "forced" to do. From the ones I have encountered, they understand where I am coming from.

Im just sorry you didnt.

I apologize if this post comes off as a little ranty. Your comment pissed me off more than you will ever know. Oh well, I'll get over it.

But you have a good day and please come back again. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home